The project aims to:
- Increase the knowledge and skills of classroom teachers in each of the six model components
- Increase ELLs’ reading and language vocabulary, fluency, and comprehension
- Implement culturally and linguistically responsive teaching and learning on a daily basis
- Increase relevant and appropriate instructional adjustments for ELLs in reading and language
- Increase educators’ ability to discern language acquisition and cultural differences from learning disabilities.
Through implementation of REME with fidelity, the researchers hypothesize that the following outcomes will be realized:
Reading and language achievement of ELLs in grades K–3 in the areas of vocabulary development, oral reading fluency, and silent reading comprehension will improve over time.
A decrease in special education referrals for reading will occur for ELLs in grades K–3
A school-wide RTI model including connections and collaborative interactions among grade-, school-, and district-level RTI teams will be established and institutionalized.